A sore throat, a tickle in throat or irritation in the throat may even develop into a cough. Mostly a cough may not require medical attention and it goes away only by use of good cough syrup like Torex cough syrup. But some cases may need medical attention and one should see a doctor if they feel like.
Cough can occur to a person for various reasons it may occur due to a viral infection, bacterial infection, as a symptom of the common flue or as a result of the changing weather. In many of these cases, home remedies and natural methods have proven to be more effective. Not only such methods are more effective but since are natural are a hundred per cent safe. They do not even cause sleepiness which is a major drawback of every cough syrup. It may become very difficult for a person to find the best cough syrup.
Various home remedies for effectively treating you are :
- Ginger tea: It will soothe your throat and give you instant relief, brew your tea and add some crushed ginger to it and brew it a little, strain it and consume it hot or semi-hot as you like.
Note: Consume ginger wisely and in small quantities, it may cause stomach ache and heartburn.
- Honey: It is the most effective solution to treat cough in children especially under the age of one year. Children usually experience night cough and honey is proven to treat it the best. You may consume 1-2 tablespoon of honey either directly, in warm water or used in your tea. Honey has a lot of other metabolic benefits like when taking in warm water helps to reduce weight. It is one of the best and most effective solutions.
- Gargle from warm salt water: Salt contains iodine and when iodine is applied on the tonsils it creates a covering on it which breaks the contact between the tonsils and the air passing through the throat. This reduces irritation and gives instant relief. Take warm water and mix about 1-2 tablespoons of salt to it and gargle for about 4-5 times or until you feel comfortable. This will effectively reduce your pain.
- Drink a lot of fluids: Consume a lot of fluids like water, juice, tea etc. but one most importantly remembers that the fluids that you consume should either be warm or on room temperature. Cold fluids can make the situation even worse. Staying hydrated is important. A hot beverage is also effective in treating flu, chills and fatigue.
- Steam: If you have a wet cough then steam proves to be an effective solution. It yourself cough produces mucus or phlegm steam is a good option. But remember along with taking steam you have to drink a lot of water to avoid dehydration. Being hydrated is very important.
- Bromelain: Bromelain is an enzyme that is found only in pineapple and its steam that is very effective in treating cough especially wet cough. It is known to loosen mucus that eases its release from the body. Consume pineapple juice at room temperature about 103 ml 3-4 times a day. It is a good solution to treat cough in children.
So these are some of the home remedies to effectively treat your cough. But if you face any unexplained symptom or prolonged cough always speak to your doctor. Professional medical advice is always recommended.